August 19, 2011

One of Each, Please

Why settle for one or the other when you can have both?  I'm pretty sure that's what Owen thinks, anyway.
Ever since he was in utero, Owen has loved sucking on his hands/fingers.  However, we've tried to instill in him, "Paci's taste better than fingers!" While we sneak a paci in past those fingers.  Lately, though, he's been going hard and strong after those fingers during his waking hours.  And we're okay with that, because at night he takes his paci just fine to fall asleep. 
This past week, however, he's discovered a new trick.  I'll let the pictures do the talking.

He likes to take his paci out and then try to put it back in... he did it successfully for the first time last night, but usually he ends up like this:
 
Paci-less.
Wherein he looks at me with that sweet face and I'll pop the paci back in.  On this day though (Wednesday, August 18) I heard the paci fall out of his mouth but he didn't fuss too much so I let him be.  But when I looked over to check on him a few minutes later... this is what I found:
Our sweet boy has figured out how to suck his thumb!  I first saw him do it while he was along with me on a photoshoot Monday... but he couldn't keep it in to soothe himself for long.  Well, it seems he's figured it out :)  He will only go for his thumb when he's sleeping and lost his paci, he still prefers the paci to fall asleep with.  If the paci falls out before he's all the way asleep he will go to the thumb.  Once he's all the way asleep though, he prefers to sleep sans-paci or thumb.  
::sigh:: our sweet boy is growing up.  During the day, though - it's fingers all the way.  He doesn't seem to have a preference, though he does seem to try his darndest to get all 10 in his mouth at once...

No comments:

Post a Comment