August 30, 2011

Ooops.

So I forgot to post this last week, but better late than never, I suppose :) 

Tuesday afternoon (August 23) was Owen's first experience with a 'natural disaster' - and I'm not talking about a dirty diaper blow-out! 
Owen was in his pack & play taking a little nap, I was on the couch feeding Isaiah (the little boy I nanny for, 4 days older than O) and all of a sudden the couch started rocking.  Like, it felt like I was sitting in a rocking chair/glider and someone was pushing it.  I thought I was loosing my head - literally, I thought I was just feeling dizzy or something, so I started looking around.  The blinds were swaying, the leaves on the plant were trembling... an earthquake?  Surely NOT an earthquake in Charlotte?!  I got up and looked out the front door to see if anyone was stirring... nothing.  So I hopped on facebook and typed "Someone please tell me they felt that and I'm not going crazy" as my status.  A second later statuses starting popping up from all over Charlotte saying, "Did you feel that?" "Oh my gosh was than an earthquake?"  I knew at that point that I wasn't crazy.  I mean, that rocking went on for a good 30 seconds, which doesn't seem like a long time, but when you're home alone with two kids and the couch starts rocking, it's a long time!  It's hard to describe the feeling, but it wasn't a shaking or a trembling like I always thought and earthquake would feel like.  It was a gentle rocking sensation.  Kind of like when you're sitting on a busy road, stopped, but traffic in the next lane is still zooming past you and your car rocks from the wind - kind of like that.  Anyway.  Come to find out it, the rocking was from the 5.8 earthquake in Virginia and it was felt all up and down the east coast.  No damage happened here - nothing fell off the walls or anything, but it sure was bizarre to sit through an earthquake.  And Owen?  Well, he was still fast asleep when I peeked over at him.  He probably just thought it was momma rocking him.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment