May 04, 2012

I'm Trying

I'm trying not to get used to this.  But it could be really easy to. 
It's finally happened.
We are on a schedule. 
Dare I 'say' it aloud?
For the past two weeks Owen has been going down around 7, waking up around 5, squaking a bit, reading his books in his crib, then falling back asleep until 6:30.
I bring him into bed with me and he nurses until around 7.
Then he sits up.  Bounces up and down on his knees and hands me puppy and paci with a big grin on his face.  His "good morning momma! I'm ready to get up!"  He then shows me the sign for 'more' meaning he's ready for breakfast.
We come downstairs and have breakfast together - his favorite is cinnamon raisin Ezekiel bread with a banana on the side. :)
After breakfast is play time. 
Around 8:30-8:45ish is nap time. He'll sleep for at least an hour before waking up for a couple minutes, then falling back asleep for another 1/2 hour.
After nap is snack time.  Sometimes we try playtime first, but he usually starts giving me the 'more' sign pretty quick.  Snack is usually left-over toast from breakfast, or a box of organic raisins.
After snack is either play time or errand time.
Lunch is around 11:30 or Noon and for Owen it's a protein (chicken, blackbeans, edamame or turkey) and a fruit (more banana, peaches, mango, blueberries, strawberries, an orange (the kid can eat an ENTIRE orange!)) and sometimes a veggie (broccoli, peas, green beans, etc).
After lunch is more play time :)  Usually independent play as I clean up the kitchen.
Around 12:45-1:00 is nap time again.  We rock for a little while (as we always do before nap) and I sing him a few made-up songs while he snuggles me with puppy and paci.  I lay him down awake and he usually sleeps for an hour or two, waking up once toward the end fussing a bit until he falls back asleep.
Around 2:30 I go up to get him from his nap, turn the light on in his room and he stands up in his crib (if he wasn't already) and gives me a HUGE smile and says "up, up, up".  I pick him up and he always (without fail) points to the light and says "wassat?" (what's that).  And I always say, "It's your light".  :)
Then it's time for more playtime.  He usually asks for another snack around 3:00 and he'll have some energy bites (oatmeal, flaxseed, honey, peanut butter mixed together and rolled up into tiny balls).
Then it's more playtime which usually ends up turning into independent play time as I get dinner ready starting around 4:30-5:00.
He eats around 5:00-5:30, usually while I'm finishing up our dinner.  Dinner is very similar to lunch, though if we have leftovers or if our dinner gets done in time I'll give him some of that too.
After dinner is Papa's time.  Since he usually doesn't get home til dinner time, Bill's turn to play with O is after dinner.  They play hardcore for about an hour or two before we start bedtime routine around 6:45.  I lay him down by 7 and he's out like a light until the morning.

So you see, I'm trying not to get used to this.  But really, I could.  But I know that in 34 days we'll be flying 1/2 way around the world and crossing over several timezones, forcing our bodies to opperate as if it is 8 hours later than what we really think it is.  And this schedule is going to go flying out the window faster than my cat after the bird on our porch. (Okay, so that's never happened, but he has run full-force into the sliding door after a bird before). 
So I'm trying not to get used to it, but I could.  And I'm hopeful that some form of normalcy/schedule will return once we get re-adjusted from Africa.  But until then.  I'm trying not to get used to this. :)