October 10, 2014

On Pregnancy

This is not, I repeat, this is NOT an announcement. 
Just so we're clear.

A good handful of the missionaries here have been 'drinking the water' and been with child lately.  Owen's friends Yael and Samuel have been away in Germany while their mom had a new baby brother, his friends Jillian & Acacia just left with their mom to go back to the states and have a new baby, and his good friend Promise will be leaving next week so her mom can give birth to her baby brother.  Naturally, this has been a topic of conversation lately.  And as usual, his conversations are quite interesting so I wanted to take a minute to record them for your viewing pleasure :)

About two weeks ago, while he was on the toilet. "Mama?  Do you have a baby in your beh-yee?"

No, honey.  Why?
"I just wanna know."
Okay... what made you think of that?
"God did."
Ummmm okaythen.

Yesterday
(This conversation happened between him and Bill, which Bill later recounted to me)
"Papa, you have a baby in your beh-yee?"
No, I can't have a baby in my belly.
"I have a baby in my beh-yee?!"
No buddy, you're a boy, you can't have a baby in your belly.
"But you're a grown-up so you CAN!"
But I'm a grown-up boy, so I can't.
(As Bill was recounting this story to me over dinner last night, I chimed in:)
Did you know only girls can have babies in their bellys?
"Yea, boys can't have babies in their beh-yees.  You have a baby in your beh-yee?"
No honey.  Do you want me to?
"Yea."
Really?! Why's that?
"Cause I want a sister."
A sister?  Wow.  What would you call her?
"Baby.  Sister."
Oh, okay.  And would you help with her?
"Yea! I would feed her."
Really?  Would you change her diaper?
"Yep.  I would let her do anything she wanted.  I would protect her."
Wow, that's great buddy.  Would you even share your toys with her?
"Yea!"
Wellthen.  Good to know.

This Morning
(This conversation happened in pre-school, and was told to Bill & I during lunch)
Who has a baby brother or sister at home?
{Owen raises his hand}
Owen!  You have a baby at home?!
"Well, not yet."
Really?
"Yep.  In a couple weeks momma's gonna have a baby."
{about 15 minutes later, during another part of the day entirely, Owen raises his hand}
"I'm gonna have a baby brother and we're gonna name him Jesus."
Maybe I need to re-explain the Nativity story we read last night at bedtime.

This Afternoon
Owen, Miss Cynthia told me that you told the class momma was gonna have a baby?
"Yea, a brother."
Oh. And what did you say we were going to name him?
"Jesus."
Oh honey.  Momma doesn't have a baby in her belly, that was a story about Mary and when God gave her the baby and she named him Jesus.
"Oh. But will God give you a baby?"
Will God give me a baby? Yes, I guess so.  But not right now.  Maybe some other time.
"But I want a brother."
You do?  Why's that?
"Because I wanna feed him."
Aw, well when we have a baby I will let you have a turn at feeding him.
"Okay. And when he poops in his diaper you can change it and I will check on his diaper for you."
Okay honey.
Glad that's all cleared up.


///
You may or may not know that we don't have a TV here.  And the above post proves we have no need for one.  There's plenty of entertainment to go around. ( o.O )

No comments:

Post a Comment