July 21, 2010

Africa, Day 4

7-12-10

Today is market day.  The market is across the street from us.  It is pretty big - about the size of a Wal-Mart.  The floor is dirt, sometimes brick pavers.  There are many, many vendors set up under little huts selling their goods - food, cookware, baskets, soaps, everything hand made or grown in their own farm.

Goats roam freely, as they do everywhere else, unaware of their fate...

... Don't worry, I think this one is safe... for a few months at least. :)
*                         *                      *
On the way back from the market we stopped by the silver smith.  He was in the middle of working and I was eager to capture the process - so here it is, from raw silver to the end - where he will stamp, cut and mold a piece of jewelry out of it!
By the time we were finished at the market and the silver smith, school had let out.  Vinnie was waiting for us at the entrance to the church property.  She was eager to show us how smart she is!
After hanging out with Roger & Vinnie for a little while we head to The Father's House.  

We've been talking about being more intentional with our prayer when we go out there and decide to head upstairs to one of the bedrooms to gather as a team and pray.  It was such an amazing time of prayer - we could all really feel the Holy Spirit's presence with us.  I must say, today is the day I feel like we've come together as brothers & sisters.  I feel so incredibly close to Jake, Matt & Jeremiah - like they're my big brothers.  I know they will protect me and keep me safe.  I know they love me and care about me.  I know they will not judge me.  It's amazing the way we've all come together.  There's no other explanation other than God's love.  Only God's love could unite us so closely after only knowing each other for three days!  I feel like we're closer than blood.  I love it!  I'm also feeling truly like I am a part of the Banini family.  I am learning their personalities and their language and getting closer to them.  They've really welcomed us and treat us like we're they're own.

So after our prayer time we head out to the boat to do some worship.  It's nearing dark so many of the kids have gone home for the night, so it's just us out on the boat.  Us and God.  It's incredible.

Jake & I both fell in love with an Ewe song we heard the Banini family singing one night during worship time, so when we heard Jeremiah sing it again with his class at Father's House we asked him to translate it.  Here's a short clip of the first verse, the beginning is hard to understand, but it gets clearer.

After he translated Jake & I decided we wanted to learn it in Ewe so we could sing it.  So last night Jeremiah taught Jake the chords and today we sat on our boat and we all worshiped in Ewe.  It was so beautiful, so amazing, so anointed.  I could feel God smiling down on us in the sunset.
Our Ewe Song
Xeviwo kple Lawo
Wo do Mawu de dzi
Ke nye amegbeto ya aleke mawu

Mado Mawu de dzi
Eye mada akpe ne da

Xeviwo kple Lawo
Wo do Mawu de dzi
Ke nye amegbeto ya aleke mawu

Ewe Song in English
Birds and animals
They lift God on high
What then shall I, a human, do?

I will lift God on high
And I will thank Him forever

Birds and animals
They lift God on high
What then shall I, a human, do?


No comments:

Post a Comment